Hollow underneath tile -- fix?

attofaradOctober 4, 2013

It seems that there is a bit of concrete slab cracking under my wife's tile floors over the last few years (house about 22 years old). The grout is cracked in a few places, and the adjacent tile on one or both sides of the tile sounds hollow, no longer attached. This might be for ~1/4 to 1/3 of the tile width, the part closest to the grout cracks.

If the grout is removed/replaced to fix the grout, is there a good product that can be injected under the hollow edge of the tile before re-grouting? Another technique?

The tile, of course, can no longer be found, so replacing a few tiles is not an option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jfcwood

I usually find that if the grout around a tile is cracked, the tile is probably loose. If the tile is loose, it can be pulled up and reset then regrouted.

I sometimes lay wood floor over existing tile so cracked grout is a warning sign indicating loose tile.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 3:33PM
attofarad

Thanks for the reply. In this case, the tiles do not seem to be that loose. Obviously there is a space under the hollow sounding part of the tile, but that is generally little or none, up to ~15-20% on several tiles, and nearly 50% of one. It is as though the tile is mostly well adhered, and detached along one side, the same side as the grout crack. If any spares were available, I'd be trying to remove a couple of tiles, but I cannot risk breaking a tile and having to replace 600 square feet.

Some similar issues were fixed a while back (grout was removed and replaced), but no hollow sound was noticed at the time.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 5:46PM
jfcwood

Hmm. It's probably either small voids under the tiles which are inconsequential or maybe the adhesive has popped loose from a poorly prepared portion of the subfloor. I think they make kits to shoot epoxy under tiles voids but that sounds a bit risky. Maybe if the cracked grout was removed a thin consistency two part epoxy could be poured in at the edge of the tile then grouted over after it cures.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 4:08PM
srosen

Just saw this-the voids can be filled with latex.
super latex from latticrete works well.
However it may be a good idea to hire a pro to pump in the latex. also there is an epoxy made by bon stone in an injectable syringe that will work very well.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
Sponsored Products
Cambridge Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
'Happy Valentines Day' Tile
$9.99 | zulily
Allure Daydream Haze Glass and Marble Tile
$30.50 | TileBar
Austin Off-White Linen Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Aquatic Sky Blue 1x1 Squares Glass Tiles
$12.99 | TileBar