Housewarming party on Saturday

MariposaTraicioneraApril 5, 2006

A young woman I know is having her first housewarming party, and in her email she told me that it's a 'rustic cabin' look she's after.

Her kitchen is black, white and brick red. MB will be sage and cranberry. That's all the info I have. I don't actually know her taste, so what type of gift should I be looking for?

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulines

Kitchen gadgets, of course :)

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 2:48PM
librarymom03

Why not just bring a nice bottle of wine? I must be behind the times....when did a housewarming gift have to co-ordinate with the house?

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 6:43PM
MariposaTraicionera

Well for one thing, she's only 24 and doesn't have a lot of stuff yet, and she was pretty insistent on the 'look' and colour of her place. I believe she sort of separated the different rooms and colours on the invitation, so my hint was the kitchen.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 7:09PM
uxorial

I'm know the guy who makes these hand-turned wood vases, as well as other items like bowls (I have several large bowls that I use for fruit or popcorn. All are food safe). Email me if you want to buy one. Prices range from $30 to several hundred.

Kathy

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 8:08PM
librarymom03

So she actually "hinted" that she wanted gifts on her invitation????

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 12:43PM
proudmamato4

When we had a housewarming, it was just an excuse to throw a party. I was actually embarrassed when some people brought gifts, b/c that wasn't the point of our party at all.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 12:56PM
paigect

Wow. People are getting bold with their invitations, aren't they? I can't imagine describing my desired decor in my invitations!

That said, since you're kindly willing to chalk it up to "The Young and the Tactless," I think I would purchase a piece of red cookware or some red or black kitchen tools. Alternatively, you could get her a gift certificate, since she seems like she has specific wants.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 8:56AM
TommeCA

I'd be tempted to give her an etiquette book, but it might be too late for her already. You're probably nicer than I am, so I would suggest you gift her with a lovely scented candle on a little stand in either her bedroom or kitchen color.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 11:00AM
MariposaTraicionera

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going out today to find something for the kitchen.

I admit that it's bit a bold to suggest or make hints of what one would like for their kitchen, but she's a single young woman, and I applaud her independence on buying her own house. I got the impression that she doesn't have too many nice things, and I guess this is her way of trying to get a little help. Some of her co-workers (teachers) have been asking her about colours and what she needed, so maybe that's where she got the idea?

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 11:19AM
Bizzo

If you haven't already found a gift, perhaps a gift certificate?

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 12:57PM
snookums

She's single, 24, and bought her own house? That IS something to celebrate (though asking for a gift is a little tacky). But still, that's awesome.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 4:49AM
MariposaTraicionera

Yes, 24 and owning your own home is something. It was a lovely party, and everyone brought gifts and more. I think most females who attended were in awe of what this young woman has accomplished thus far. She was engaged two years ago and caught her fiance with someone else. He didn't think it was a big deal, but she did! She owns a dog and plans on being a foster parent.

Though it was a bit tacky hinting at a gift, she told me that everyone had mentioned wanting to bring a gift and wanted to know exactly what she NEEDED. She had already gotten stuff from family members that were three of a kind, or just plain not her style, so she figured if people wanted to bring something, she might as well guide them. However, she did say that it was not necessary...I didn't mind, and I got her a basket with lots of gadgets and some pretty dish towels in her kitchen colours.

I think we need to support the younger generation, and especially women who are willing and able to live on their own like this.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Kitchen Cabinetmaker Recommendations Clearwater Fl
Remodeling new to us home and would appreciate recommendations...
gulfmermaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™