Corned beef in a bag?

calilooMarch 16, 2012

One of my office mates asked me today if she could make corned beef in an oven bag for tomorrow. I have no idea since I've never used one. Do you know if it can be done?

Alexa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Teresa_MN

I've done it with a corned beef eye round - not a brisket. I don't know why it would make any difference.

T

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 3:22PM
claire_de_luna

I've used an oven bag before, but Teresa is right; it doesn't make any difference. Just less mess to clean up!

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 5:10PM
lindac

Well....here we go again. IMHO corned beef needs to be boiled, for many reasons, not the ;east of which is to cook out some of the salt.
She could cover it with water and simmer for a while and then put it into an oven bag....but why bother? Just simmer it a little longer.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 5:18PM
paprikash

I agree with Lindac. DH and I have either corned beef or cottage ham quite regularly. I've done blind tasting with my husband and have not told him whether I simmered or baked. Simmering wins hands down in our house. An added plus is the tasty water for cooking cabbage, potatoes and carrots. As far as clean up, a pot with a ring around it isn't that tough to clean - wipe ring while it's still warm with a paper towel, squirt some dish detergent into pot, and it's clean!

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 5:29PM
klseiverd

Not quite OT, but a "live and learn" lesson on corned beef. A million years ago, when I got first microwave... big, heavy thing. Since it was a new "toy" used it for a lot of things as I learned what worked and what didn't. Actually attempted to cook corned beef in it!! Technically, it was "cooked" in no time, but turned into a rock solid hunka meat. Ended up dumping it into a big pot and boiling... like I had been taught. It took that long simmer to get it to being tender. Luckily, short spin in microwave didn't destroy it, and meal was salvagable.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 7:41PM
dcarch7

There is no one way to cook corned beef. Do a Google search and you will see. Just a metter of preference.

Corned beef cares about two conditions, how hot and how long.

I have done corned beef many ways (except microwave LOL ).

Recently, I prefer sous vide corned beef. (yes, in a plastic bag)

135 F for 48 hours. At this temperature, medium rare corned beef is truly juicy and tender. There is no need to cut across the grain, which I classify as making the meat chewable but not tender.

At 135 F, I had measured, the shrinkage is less, which means juicier meat.

dcarch

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 8:08PM
Teresa_MN

Agreed Dcarch. I've done CB a number of ways. However, boiling and submerged in liquid is not one of them.

That does not mean it is wrong for others if that is what they prefer - IMHO.

Simmered with a moderate amount of liquid on the stove top or in the oven in a covered pot works well also.

I stopped cooking the vegetables in the pot with the meat a long time ago. I take one cup of the cooking liquid and another cup or two of water and braise the vegetables in that. They still have the flavor of the corned beef but aren't salt laden.

And I have baked it in a bag or in a foil covered pan with a small amount of liquid. When I use either of those methods do a water bath the day before to remove some of the salt.

Many ways to do corned beef and have it turn out delicious!

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
Sponsored Products
Jasmine Reversible 8-piece Bed-in-a-Bag with Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Vigneto Custom Fire Pit Table
FRONTGATE
Gray Lizzie Storage Bench
$229.99 | zulily
BeanSack Classic Small Zig Zag Multi Print Bean Bag Lounge Chair
Overstock.com
Blueberry Twist Suet Cakes - Set of 12
$12.99 | zulily