Which floor goes well with walnut-colored cabinets?

lizatgarOctober 22, 2012

We're building a new house, and I really like the color of walnut. I picked a front door stained in walnut. In the kitchen I'm going to have Medallion Knotty Alder cabinets in walnut color, and an antique-white colored island. The floor in the kitchen will be earth-toned ceramic. Now I can't decide which floor color to do for the adjacent family room and breakfast nook. I do like country style but don't want log cabin rustic. Now I'm considering hickory stained in a dark brown color (provincial), or natural white oak.

What do you think? Shall I go with dark or light? A true walnut floor would be perfect but it is beyond my budget. Brazillian cherry looks nice but the red tone may clash with the walnut in kitchen and front door.

The picture is not my house, but the colors of the cabinets and tiles are very close to mine.

Any suggestions... it such a hard decision! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

I recently did an Austrailian Cyprus floor. Looked neat. But that may be too cabin like for you. If you have dark cabinets i would go light floor. Nice contrast and also dark floors show dust almost immediately after cleaning. Also light floors tend to make rooms look larger. Just my opinion.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:53PM
lizatgar

Thanks gregmills! If I have hardwood in the kitchen I'm sure I'll do light floor. But my kitchen has light tiles. I don't know in this case should I do a darker floor?

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 9:03AM
UniqueWoodFloor

I would go with white oak natural finish. It is timeless and easy to go with most anything in the house.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™