Mixing wood flooring with Stone Tiles

ghfarmOctober 21, 2008

Has anyone done a self-install of this?

I am thinking of a 6" plank flooring (unfinished) laid out in a trellis pattern with 18" travertine tiles in the "holes" of the wood flooring trellis pattern.

I would prefer to use unfinished plank, and have it finished, rather than pre-finished wood flooring, but I'd be willing to re-consider that if there's a clear advantage to engineered.

Other questions would be how to finish tiles (grout?) so that there is room allowed for wood shrinkage/expansion without the floor ending up gappy.

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

I've googled for websites about this sort of floor layout but have come up empty thus far.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciab10

We didn't DIY, but I think we had done what you want in our new dining room. (picture at bottom of link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room Floor

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 5:20PM
ghfarm

Thanks for the picture, marciab10.
That is exactly what I was talking about.

Would you mind answering some questions for me about your floor?
Did you use prefinished wood flooring or unfinished?
Who did your install? Wood guys, tile guys, or both?
Is there grout between the tiles and the wood strips?

It really looks great! Congrats on the beautiful floor.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 5:40PM
marciab10

Thanks!

The wood was not prefinished, it is a 6 inch walnut plank, we have handscraped walnut on most of the first floor. The wood is not stained, just urethaned.

The way the wood was cut was called a certain pattern, I don't remember what it was~will try and find out, or take a better picture so you can see.

We had one company do all our hard surfaces, wood floors and tile in the baths. I think they had 2 different guys do the floor. They first layed the wood, and sanded and finished that, and much later they layed the tile. They also had to do an extra underlayment to match the thickness of the wood.

I don't remember if there is grout or not.(we haven't moved in yet) but I will check next time I'm' there.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 9:56PM
akrogirl

A friend of mine diy'd the floor of his pretty large great room like this. He has done some exquisite tile work in his straw bale house, but he considers this floor to be one of the toughest jobs he has done - not something for the faint of heart.

He used a combination of mesquite planks and saltillo tile and it looks fabulous. He does have grout between the tiles and wood strips.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™