Near final decision but I have SEER Confusion

ofrancoisFebruary 10, 2013

I am close to making a final decision on a unit and an install company but need some advice on the SEER ratings. The two final gas/elec package units are:

RUUD RRRL-C-024 (16 SEER residential, limited Lifetime HX)
Trane XL14C (14 SEER, 20ys HX)

Are you just suppose to buy the highest SEER rating you can? There are other reasons I would consider the Trane over the RUUD. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

What is the confusion?

You get higher SEER with the Rudd,16-14 SEER. It has a limited lifetime HX warranty. If important, read the fine print on The warranty for both models.

I like Trane products but I have said many times that Rudd/Rheem is one of the most overlooked and underrated brands in the residential HVAC market. Very little advertising budget compared to the big boys.

You don't mention cost or confidence in the dealer and his reputation which is always a consideration.

Both will require a true two stage thermostat for the two stage gas heat or else you will always be on high stage whether needed or not. Yes, this is a big deal not to be overlooked. Don't get snookered here.

IMO

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:20AM
tigerdunes

Very detailed website info on Rudd Product.

Features, specifications, and warranty.

Take a look if interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rudd RRRL website info

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:23AM
ofrancois

Reputation of installers? As a home owner, we don't think about HVAC folks until we desperately need you guys (sad but true). The Trane seller is a local independent that has excellent reviews in Angie's List as well as BBB. The RUUD installer is regional (at least 3-4 states), has solid Angie's List reviews but only the parent branch is listed on BBB and they have an F rating.

If I chase the 16SEER, I have a similar proposal from the Home Depot contractor. I was trying to avoid the big-boxes.

Overall, the costs are just a few hundred apart with the RUUD being the most expensive.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
tigerdunes

The Rudd will save you probably in 5-8% in electric costs in AC cooling. The nat gas operating costs should be close to the same. As mentioned above, make certain you get a true two stage thermostat that controls the staging of the gas heat. A very big deal.

I have confidence in both systems.

Perhaps your confidence in and who you believe will give you the best install may be the deciding and most important factor.

IMO

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Has anyone found solution to HVAV Dirty Sock Syndrome
Two years ago I had a Trane heat pump installed in...
idreos
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Sponsored Products
After Dark Candlesticks - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Pillow Perfect Outdoor Blue Nivala Squared Seat Cushions (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Footed 16-ounce Glass Goblets (Set of 8)
Overstock.com
LZF | Nut Suspension Light
$620.00 | YLighting
New Blue/Brown Medallion 3x9 Oriental Balouch Runner Hand Knotted Wool Rug P921
BH Sun Inc
Casdon Kids Play Electronic Microwave - 492
$37.99 | Hayneedle
Tutu Satin Nickel Three-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Light Bar Cano
$765.00 | Bellacor
Stilo 7 Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Cherry Glass
$436.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™