Fine Tuning Radian Floor Heating

java_manFebruary 1, 2011

My apartment (1 year old) uses radiant floor heating (and cooling). The system has three thermostats but 7 zones. The overall design is quite good with one glitch - the master bedroom and ensuite bath are on the same thermostat. This is a problem for us because we prefer a cool bedroom but a warm master bath.

The manifold that controls the flow of fluid to the various zones is accessible. If I were to shut off the loop to the master bedroom while leaving the loop to the ensuite bath on, could I keep the bathroom warm while the bedroom stays cooler? If yes, is there any downside to doing it this way?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidro1

could you use the valve to reduce the flow on one loop without completely shutting it off? It's not designed for flow adjustment but you can tweak it a bit to get flow down. It will put more heat into the bathroom loop and less into the bedroom loop. So the answer is yes, this would " keep the bathroom warm while the bedroom stays cooler" and this is your goal: a bathroom warmer than the bedroom.

I'll let others with hydronics expertise contribute as to the impact of completely shutting it off,

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
Sponsored Products
Delta Electronics BreezeGreenBuilder 80 CFM Bathroom Fan with Adjustable Humidit
Overstock.com
Joy Carpets Playful Pond Multicolor - 1792B
$126.67 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Aeratron 50 in. Indoor White 2 Blade Ceiling Fa
Home Depot
Atlas Fan Diane Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan with Metal Blades
$391.00 | Bellacor
WellnessMats Maxum Anti-Fatigue Mat
$129.95 | FRONTGATE
Gel Memory Foam 2'' Mattress Topper
$89.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™