will vinegar/baking soda do this trick on the carpet?

DDL24October 14, 2011

Searched but couldn't find firm answer. Here is my situation.

My basement is walkout and facing northwest and never humid and RH can get to 25-30% in winter heating season. I never needed a dehumidifier till this happened about a month ago.

Berber carpet in the basement was soaked due to sump pump power outage in a rainstorm. Sucked most water out the next day by using a carpet shampoo machine. and then in the next two weeks, 24hours a day, I kept the basement well ventilated and drying by using 5 household fans and two high velocity fans as well as a large dehumidifier, also kept AC running very cold to further help keep humidity low.

I have stopped everything for the past 2.5 weeks to stress test to see if mold is growing and none so far...Insurance company sent an Independent restoration company to estimate damage and they said all is good and don't need to replace carpet, just a good steam clean and apply anti-microbial agent and the bill is well below the $ deductible. I might as well just finish everything on my own. Can I use vinegar or baking soda to shampoo the carpet to prevent mold growing for peace of mind? Many thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorguy

No!

All you need is a steam of a temp higher than 185 deg.

It will kill all spores and fungal growth.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 1:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DDL24

Floorguy,
Thanks for your response. could your recommend any specific machine that I can buy to do that economically or I should just hire a professional in stead? I search on the web and the only high temp, steam cleaner is something like this Wagner 915 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner. Thanks for your advice.
Rich

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Shag Dark Grey 6.6 ft. x 6.6
Home Depot
Ripples´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$335.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Area Rug: Shag Green 3' x 5'
$82.97 | Home Depot
Katianne Wool-Blend Area Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Khema5 Round Pouf by Mat-The-Basics
$473.00 | Lumens
Joy Carpets Petal Pushers Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 1542-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™