Color of wall and island kitchen cabinets

rrt70cApril 22, 2013

I am debating between stained maple cabinets vs painted. I am thinking of using kraftmaid cabinets. I would like help between canvas white and biscotti colors. I will have a south facing window over the kitchen sink. which would look more better - painted or stained? I would like a open, bright and modern look. Kitchen will be 12 ft wide and 15 ft deep. The island will be 6 ft wide and 3 ft deep. Should the cabinets in the island be painted or stained? Please help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzanne_sl

This is truly a matter of "look." Either painted or stained would be appropriate, functional, and attractive. Here is what we did with our kitchen which is similar in size and exposure to yours:

It could have been white/off-white or stained a much lighter color. I don't think darker would have been a good choice though. We could even have done painted in a color like sage green or butter yellow, and done something entirely different with the wall color. This is a smallish space, but with an island (vs. a peninsula), you can consider doing the perimeters white with dark counters and the island dark with light counters. We've seen several of those here which turn out very well. When you are starting over and replacing all the cabs and counters, the possibilities are wide open. Choose what appeals to you. Of course, if your SO has an opinion, that will influence the choice too.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzanne_sl

P.S. This is a question better asked on the gallery side vs here on the conversation side. Post again there for more and better replies.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Removing a load-bearing wall... $10,000!
Omigod. We just got a quote for removing the load-bearing...
ideagirl2
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™