Knowing...did you see it? What did you think of it?

buehlApril 22, 2009

My DH, DS, DD, and I went to see Knowing this weekend.

After the movie we talked about it some and I seemed to be the only one that didn't find it totally depressing. I was wondering what others thought about it...

It probably didn't help that my DD & DH, at least, were expecting a "National Treasure" type movie... To be honest, so did I, but I got past it...

****Warning! SPOILERS ahead****

Interestingly, I was able to hold an adult conversation w/my just turned 13 yo DD about it...we discussed whether we thought young children (elementary school) could grow up on an alien world w/o adult help, what other "interests" some of the other chosen children might have (farming, for example), could there have been adults chosen that we didn't see (like Lucinda...although she didn't live to see it), etc. We even discussed how many totally unrelated people are needed to have a viable gene pool...(my DD is studying Genetics right now in her 7th grade science class).

If you saw it, did you see it w/your older children?

What did you think of the movie? Your children (if they saw it as well)?

I kind of feel like I'm in the minority that I found it yes, a little depressing, but also a victory over the disaster....showing that life continues....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathleenca

Down

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 7:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lowspark

Just saw this recently. I liked the mystery and intrigue, and was even willing to forgive the incredible coincidences and ease with which Nicholas Cage was able to solve it, until...

***********SPOILERS**************

Until it turned out the whole thing was about aliens and the earth ending. Ugh. I just have no patience for what this particular formula in movies.

Even putting that aside for a minute, the idea that these aliens knew about the end of the earth years ahead, and that their course of action was to just let it happen and save two and only two children is abhorent to me. Why not save lots of children? Why these two in particular? Why only children? Why not give earth real advance warning instead of a cryptic note seen by three people a week before the end?

My theory on this movie was that a couple of art directors/set designers/special effects guys were sitting around one night, sipping some wine, and wondering how they could get nominated for an oscar.

The conversation goes something like this:
- You know what always wins?
- what?
- Aliens with cool looking spaceships
- yeah! Let's do one of those!

Result: Knowing

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™