Wondering about stability of hardwood flooring over garage

kiki_thinkingOctober 10, 2011

I have read that for flooring to be stable, that temperature and humidity must be controlled. Our family room is over our garage. Last year, all of the garage ceiling drywall and insullation was removed in order to do structural work. So now there is a plywood floor over the garage. Some work still remains to be done before the garage ceiling can be re insulated and redrywalled. Can i go ahead and install my hardwood flooring in the family room? I would like to use 4" wide boards, am open to engineered or solid hardwood.

We currently have just plywood underlayment in the family room. If i can't lay hardwood at yhis point, then i need to go ahead and carpet to get the room functional.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PIDFloorsexpress

Hey, well you�re correct your wood floor needs to come to EMC which is equilibrium moisture content with temp approx. 50-70 degrees and relative humidity to be within 30-50 percent. Basically your flooring needs to have 6-9% moisture content in it, so that it does not expand or contrast. More detail you can read in maintaningwoodfloors.com/.
You home needs to be always under normal living conditions year round, even if you go on vacation for two weeks. As long as you have your space controlled you should hopefully not have any issues. If you have any more questions please let me know - Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Flooring

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 4:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiki_thinking

That is what i am trying o figure out alough i didnt know the terms. If my family room floor wjich is plywood, is over my uninsulated garage ceiling, will there bee too much temperature and humidity fluctuation for hardwood flooring?

What data ranges am i looking for?

Thanks again for the help!

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™