Cooking with "real" rice.

mudlady_gwMarch 21, 2014

I am used to making my mother's recipe for a quick chicken dinner. Place chicken parts in a baking dish, add chicken broth, garlic, celery, carrots and seasoning. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Serve with cooked Minute rice. I have a nice, new small enamel clad cast iron pot and I want to cook this dish in it. I would like to add basmati rice into the mix before cooking and make sure there is plenty of liquid and some butter. If I set the oven to 350, how long should I cook, with rice included and covered with the cast iron pot top? I suppose if the meat and vegetables are done before the rice, I can always remove them to a plate and continue cooking the rice, but I would like it all to finish together. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angelaid

I do Nita's recipe with chicken sometimes. Comes out perfect every time. I do add about half an additional can of tomatoes, because DH loves them.

From Nita AZ

Party Bake Pork Chops
Betty Crocker New Dinner For Two Cookbook copyright 1964

4 lean pork chops, 1" thick
4 thin slices onion
1/4 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) tomatoes
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
pepper

Trim any excess fat from chops. Season chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet. Top each chop with a slice of onion, 1 tbsp rice, and cover with whole (From Ang ~ I crush them through my fingers as adding) tomatoes. Add any remaining tomatoes and juice to skillet. Cover tightly; simmer over low heat or bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4 servings.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 2:40PM
jasdip

I make a dish using pork chops on rice that's mixed with chicken broth. It's baked in the oven, covered.

I'd say an hour is good for your dish.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 2:55PM
publickman

I would soak the rice in an equal amount of water for about 10 minutes (longer, if you prefer), and then add the soaked rice and soaking water to the cooking dish first. There is probably enough extra liquid in the dish for the rice to cook. When I cook rice in a pressure cooker, I use one and a half parts water to one part of rice, if I add vegetables. You can check your dish half way through to see if you need more water or stock.

You didn't say how much rice or stock you were using.

Lars

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 5:19PM
annie1992

I think the rice would more likely be done before the meat and vegetables.

I make Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice) with "real" rice, I don't care for the Minute stuff, and it's baked for about half an hour if I brown the chicken before, an hour if I don't.

So, I think an hour would be plenty, and I'd check a couple of times to see if the rice needed more liquid, as you do not say how much rice and how much broth you use.

Annie

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 8:23PM
jasdip

Annie reminded me that I do chipotle chicken and rice in a dutch oven on the stove. It takes about 1/2 hour.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
My new pantry with pictures
OK, it's nearly done. We still need to replace some...
annie1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™