Refinishing stained concrete

eleenaOctober 5, 2012

We have stained concrete floors throughout the house (except for MB which has wood floors). They came with the house, except for the three bedrooms that had carpet.

The original floors were done in 1991 and required waxing once a year. I hated the wax. It always left brown marks on socks and everything else. Plus, we were told not to clean the floors with water, just dust-mop it.

We tried but it just did not feel clean - and was not.

We had two small bedrooms scored and stained ~4 years ago. They have a clear finish that can be mopped.

I have been told by two contractors that we could re-finish all other concrete floors in the house so they would not require waxing and could be wet-mopped. But IDK if I believe it as I cannot find any info.

Do you know if it is possible and is a good idea?

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkfinn97

We are currently building slab on grade and have also scored the concrete to look like tile. We did not acid stain it, but dyed it (no reaction with the concrete and looks a little more consistent to us...as well as being easier to do I think). To seal it we were given J25 sealer (http://www.maycomix.com/downloads/J-25-sealer.pdf). Not sure if it can be applied over wax, but I think it is supposed to be a decent sealer and may give you a place to start asking questions. This will need to be done every 2-3 years based on wear. Did you seal your score lines in the bedrooms? We used a special blade to cut 4x4' "tiles" and now I am wondering if we should fill the score lines with something so they don't collect crumbs, dirt, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™