Carrier - 58MVC or 59MN7?

attofaradFebruary 25, 2012

My remodel has stretched out to the point that the system I'd been quoted -- the 58MVC -- is being phased out, and the installer is suggesting the 59MN7, which seems similar except that it is a modulating burner rather than 3-stage. The newer one is also shorter by 5-6 inches, but I don't have a space constraint.

The installer will check to see whether the 58MVC is still available. It certainly meets my needs, as would the 59MN7. The price difference is trivial (couple of hundred bucks), but still would probably never be recovered.

Should I go with the older system, which has proven itself for a few years, or go with the new 59MN7 ? Which one is likely to last longer and need less maintenance or repair?

Thanks,

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Attored

What is your location?

You may get marginal better comfort and perhaps small savings with the mod. I do think it's important on the mods that they be able to modulate both up and down based on demand, not just up.

IMO

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:51AM
mike_home

The 58MVC is a very nice furnace when paired with the Infinity controller. You will be happy with it if the contractor is able to get it.

The 59MN7 has a stepper motor to control the gas valve. This an additional moving part which may be prone to failure. You can argue it is less reliable, but there is no history on this. You get a 10 parts warranty from Carrier, and you could purchase a 10 year labor also from Carrier in case you have any concerns.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 9:40AM
attofarad

Thanks for the responses. I'm in a pretty mild area (nights barely hit freezing), but building construction from 60's is not well sealed. Long L-shaped one story, will have a single furnace with two zones.

How do I know whether it can modulate down as well as up (the 59MN7)? It would have the Infinity controllers for either furnace.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 12:20PM
mike_home

I would think the 59MN7 can modulate up and down. The 58MVC does this with three stages (low, med, high). The decisions are made by the Infinity controller, so I assume both furnaces would operate in the same manner.

This would be a good question for the contractor.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™