lubricating blower fan

stockrexJanuary 12, 2009

Greeting from west michigan,

carrier, 95% eff, 19 yrs old.

my furnace blower needs 30w oil to lube it up. when we bought the house 3 year back, it made loud noise when starting up, called the service guy, noise went away but came back and got louder till the summer scheduled service.

could someone pls tell me or point me to a website which has instructions on how to oil the blower and where can buy that little bottle with a long tube coming out of it to oil the darn thing

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tlewis_hvac

Any heating and air parts house carries the "pull-spout" oil. Just look up the parts house in the phone book and they should have it.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 8:49AM
wiley0

20 yr old hi eff carrier. Got a model and serial #

Does it use white pvc pipe for intake and exhaust or vent up the chimney?

You may end up pulling out the blower motor to access the two oil port caps.

Zoom spout oiler is what you are looking for. Most hardware stores have them I would think. It is just elec motor oil. I don't know why someone said 30w, seems kinda heavy to me.

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 4:07AM
stockrex

Thanks for the name of the oiling tool.
Electric motor oil, it is then. I think I read somewhere about 30w motor oil.

Sorry no serial # till friday, I am out on a business trip.

Er, where do I find the serial #?

white pvc pipe to exhaust and same for intake.

Yes, I think I saw the service tech pull the motor/fan assembly out a bit to oil the darn thing.

tlewis et wiley, thanks a bunch

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 5:29AM
cesp

I've got a 21-year-old Carrier 58SSB060-8C(? may be -BC) natural gas furnace. The blower is making noticeable noise now. It's never been serviced, and I assume that lubricating the blower may extend its life and reduce the noise. I'm an unlicensed electrician/handyman, so I'm not afraid to get into the furnace and disassemble it partially if that's what's needed to oil the blower. I'm hoping it's easier than it appears. There's no OBVIOUS disassembly path, and I'd like to avoid unnecessarily disassembling areas that don't need it. I'd love to have some drawings that show what is where, but I can't find any data on the Internet. Can anyone help?

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 2:58PM
taxman_batelnet_bs

I have 4 carriers in my house and they run fine for 10+ years. occasionally I have a fan (outside house - where compressor) stick or hang up. i notice there are 4 holes on the top of the fan motor/fanunit and I wonder if these are for lubricating
i'd like to lubricate these fans. can I unscrew the nuts holding it dowen and lubricate with wd40?

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
ERV Systems
Hello: Is it really safe to forego bathroom exhaust...
Dona Dinkler
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™