Repair of Carrier Furnace

shw001January 12, 2012

I have a 19-year old Bryant (same as Carrier) condensing gas/forced air furnace that is leaking water and not firing properly. Technician says to replace secondary heat exchanger @ $750-950 labor. The parts are paid for under my service contract. Is this a reasonable price? Is this worthwhile on a 19-year old furnace, or should I replace the furnace?

Bryant Model 398AAV, 100,000 BTUs, Plus 90 model

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neohioheatpump

For that much money I would put towards a new furnace. Maybe you can get a lower price. I would call a couple other contractors and see if they can do that for less.

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 7:49AM
bpchiil

Replace it!!

Your throwing good money towards bad. At that price, you're at approximately 1/3 of the cost of a new one.

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 10:11PM
snoringcow

Have your contractor heck it out .. last year I replaced 4 Bryant furnaces for this same reason, 12, 15 and 18 yrs old. Don't even mess with the new heat exchanger, you end up with an old furnace with a new heat exchanger. Carrier credited $600.00 toward the furnaces and $450.00 labor for the install. Trouble is they replace it with the same identical piece of junk. And the contractor will wait for three months to get credit.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 12:32AM
shw001

Snoringcow, What would a new 100 BTU Carrier cost? In Maryland, outside Washington, DC. This is easy access in basement, which is on ground lavel straight in from driveway, no stairs.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 11:04AM
aqeelzam

I know a contractor for this work, thay are quit professional & experts of furnace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alfa Mechanical

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™