light box for SAD?

shaddy101December 9, 2007

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these as I live in Wisconsin, and have hated winter for as long as I can remember. Wanting to hole up, like a bear in the winter, going to bed with the chickens, you name it.

I am hoping there is someone else on this forum, that perhaps has already purchased one of these, and genuinely feels better because of it, or can truthfully say it does no good at all.

What have you to say?

Would be much appreciated, as there are so many pros and cons about this depression and treating it with light as opposed to drugs, which I despise.

Be glad to hear from anyone who might have a comment.

Thanks you for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynne_melb

I had a friend who felt much better with the use of a light box. She had no energy in the winter. As a matter of fact, she had to be careful not to use the light box for too long. Otherwise, she would have so much energy that she couldn't sleep.
Good luck.

Bookmark   December 10, 2007 at 10:50PM
Meghane

My sister and a friend use one and both have said that it helps them a lot. I am getting one soon because my SAD has been getting progressively worse as well. Last year, I took a Caribbean cruise and didn't need one; this winter I have no vacations planned:(

The only con is that if you are not truly SAD, then the light box won't help. I feel bad for you- I'm in NC and barely make through winter; I think I would have gone to bed with the chickens long ago in WI!

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 9:39PM
darlene87

I have used a light box for SAD for over 10 yr. Also you can get full spectrum lights that are florscent screw in bulbs at some stores. We also have full spectrum florscent tube bulbs in the kitchen, and a few other spaces. I get ours at Home Depot, and they are reasonably priced. Also taking vit. d. in the form of cod liver oil helps in winter. I take 800 IU or units a day, I use the flavored liquid oil, and sometimes the capsules. There is a forum on one of the big email carrier sites (can't post the name, as this site does not permit it, but it starts with y. Lots of tips, helps, and ideas there. If you join a forum look for one with the most members, as there will be more activity.
Darlene

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 5:35AM
socks

My sister recently replaced some light bulbs in her apartment with some full-spectrum bulbs from Blue Max Lighting. She said it helps a lot.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 5:15PM
Meghane

So my wonderful hubby got me a lightbox for Yule. I am doing much better this year, despite no cruise. I feel more energetic and I don't have such a short fuse. I still get up waaaayyyyy too early and it's waaaaayyyy too dark.

On a good note, today I noticed my daffodils are starting to come up, we got our first baby squirrel at the wildlife rehab center, and I heard spring peepers (frogs) tonight. Spring has sprung, and not a moment too soon.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 7:36PM
sayde

Bright full spectrum lights do seem to help. If I'm working in my studio with these lights on I work well at night until quite late. But if I just sit in a chair with a book I'll fall asleep at 8PM --Even under full spectrum -- it takes a lot of them -- they have to be bright -- to energize you.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
L-dopa Rx replacement for RLS anyone?
Anyone have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I have been...
vieja_gw
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
Relentless Night Cough/Post Nasal Drip
Hello, I am desperately seeking information/advice...
wowibrug
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™