Wood floor layout?

footwedgeSeptember 4, 2011

Is it ok to place one of the floor planks at the threshold between adjacent rooms to allow the floor to run the long direction of the adjoining room? I'm thinking of running the planks in the kitchen and the adjacent dinning room and foyer in opposite directions (normal to each other).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorguy

Yes, direction changes are fine, as long as the joist are running opposite the flooring, or another layer of plywood is added to beef up the subfloor, or if you are going over concrete.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 6:45PM
footwedge

is this commonly done or personal preference? I'm just used to seeing wood floors all continuous.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 7:16PM
lizzie_nh

I think it's a personal preference. I would prefer my wood to always run parallel to the longest side of the room, which will necessitate a direction change. I also personally prefer that look, including a threshold. A lot of older houses are that way. Then again, I also like the broken up layout of traditional houses (in contrast to open concept which is popular today. I actually like that changing direction and using a threshold intensifies the "individual room" look of a traditional layout.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™