Reheating a Pot Pie?

velodougMarch 20, 2008

One of my major frustrations in the kitchen is that I haven't found a satisfactory way to reheat a pot pie. A tuna casserole or mac and cheese is easy in the microwave because I can take it out and stir it a couple of times as it heats. I don't like doing that with a pot pie because even though it's only half a pie at this point the crust is still fairly attractive. I've tried putting it in the oven at 325º but by the time it's hot in the middle it's getting crunchy around the edges. And ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
obxgina

Try heating the oven to 300 degrees, put the pot pie in for 10-15 minutes and then place foil over the crust so it doesn't get too crispy and finish reheating. Gina

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 1:47PM
lindac

I reheat covered in a 300 oven and then turn up the oven to 375 and when the oven gets hot, put it back to crisp the crust.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 1:56PM
triciae

If you have convection reheating potpies, pizza, calzones, etc. is a snap. Set to convection 375 degrees...you'll hardly even know it's been reheated...tastes like fresh-made. No need to cover.

/tricia

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 2:06PM
chase_gw

I found the same issue with a traditional full crust pot pie. Nothing seemed to work well.

Several years ago I took to using a puff pastry top and no bottom crust for pot pies. Now it's a breeze to reheat and perfect every time, good as fresh baked. I lift off the top crust and place it on a parchment lined cookie tray to warm in a 350 oven. Meanwhile I reheat the filling in the microwave, stirring as required.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 2:44PM
cloud_swift

For reheating something in the microwave without stirring, I've found that the lower power settings work well - that gives more time for the heat to equalize without overheating. One still might want to finish with a little time in the oven to crisp.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 4:22PM
velodoug

I preheated the oven to 300º, covered the pie with foil, put it in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes I removed the foil and turned the oven up to 375º without removing the pie. After another 10 minutes I shut off the oven but left the pie inside with the door shut while I quick sautéed some fresh asparagus. The asparagus took about 10 minutes. When the asparagus was done I took out the pie and served them together. The pie was thoroughly heated and the crust was, if anything, even better than the first day. Thanks for getting me thinking about heating in stages and using the foil!

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
Glow in the dark Mushrooms No longer a secret to scientists
If you see something glowing in the forest, don’t...
hellenabcd
Pet Peeve
Over at the Kitchen Table, there is a Pet Peeve thread....
donna_loomis
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Sponsored Products
E-Ware Grill/ Fondue Pot with Thermostat Control
Overstock.com
Zara Pot
$8.99 | zulily
Crema Modern Linen Sofa
$789.99 | Dot & Bo
Campania International Faux Bois Box - P-655-AL
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Silk 4-foot Potted Corn Stalk Dracaena Plant
Overstock.com