Two different Hardwoods side by side?

discojonesSeptember 14, 2012

We recently ripped up the old tile and linoleum in our soon-to-be new kitchen, and were surprised to find beautiful hardwood underneath.

Originally, we had planned on bringing hardwood into the kitchen that matched the rest of the house. However now, we are considering refinishing this unveiled wood.

The problem is, the two floors are completely different.

In the photo, the top floor is what is in the rest of the house. It runs in one direction (horizontal in the photo), looks like oak, and is a narrow plank.

The uncovered wood in our kitchen runs perpendicular to the other floor (Bottom wood in the picture, vertical), and looks like a redwood with a wider plank.

We had thoughts about staining the kitchen floor something completely different, like a dark ebony stain to offset the white cabinets. This would also avoid us trying to match two different woods. Plus, the redwood is stunning, I can't imagine tearing it up!

But, the question I have is: Will it look bad to have two different wood floors up against one another?

The threshold from our kitchen to the dining room (which is what is shown in the photo) is approximately 6 feet wide. We were going to add a proper cover piece so that the transition between each floor looked complete.

Give me your thoughts. Will two different wood floors look odd? Suggestions for stain colours? Other ideas in general?

Thanks!

More Discussions
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
DIY Stained Concrete
We are planning on doing the stained concrete ourselves...
DogwoodAcres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™