Ditra?

hedgehoggySeptember 10, 2012

We will be having porcelain tile installed in our new build. Our house is being built on a slab with radiant heating. Our builder has suggested us using Ditra under the tile. We have mentioned this a few times while getting flooring quotes and the salespeople are surprised that the builder is suggesting this for a new build. I would appreciate any opinions on using Ditra. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

Ditra is a great product. It "Uncouples" the tile from the substrate. This allows movement of the slab to NOT transmit to the tile above. I might suggest that you go to the Schluter.com site and investigate Ditra. Plenty of videos and information there.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:26PM
weedyacres

I love Ditra. Way better (and easier to install) than cement board. And a great technology.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:21PM
pumpkinhouse

I have the same question. We are installing tile over Gypcrete with radiant heat. One flooring place insists on Ditra, another would use Mercrete 7000. The extra cost for Ditra is several thousand dollars. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it? My understanding is that it ultimately boils down to the installer. Tile can crack with Ditra as well if it's not done correctly. No system is unconditionally guaranteed to prevent cracks.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:10PM
weedyacres

Ditra's about $1.30/sf. It's faster and simpler to install (less labor) than cement board. Unless you're putting in several thousand square feet of tile, it shouldn't be several thousand dollars more than cement board.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:53PM
pumpkinhouse

It is quite a bit of tile. I don't know how much but it's over 1000 square feet. The price is $2.50 a square foot. So you're saying a fair price installed is more like $1.30? Is that regional at all? I am in a mid sized Midwestern city.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:16PM
StoneTech

Look (sigh) You can do whatever you want. It's your house and your money. Is the Ditra worth it? In my estimation, yes. Does it cost a few more bucks....yes. Do you want this to last more than a year or two? If the answer is YES, then "pony up" for the Ditra. If not, again, your money, but expect to replace the tile every couple of years.

Having said that....you MAY be able to do without it, and it MAY last a good long time. What do you want to gamble?

Choose wisely, Grasshoppah.....

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Matte or shiny hardwood floors...what's your preference?
We are going to sand and refinish our floors. What...
jtaime2
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Do your Karndean floors look like this?
I'm going to be posting pictures shortly to let you...
floorfinder
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
Sponsored Products
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Flooring Ditra-Heat Bright White
Home Depot
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Warming Mats Ditra-Heat 240-Volt 105.8 ft.
Home Depot
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Warming Mats Ditra-Heat 120-Volt 141.1 ft.
Home Depot
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Warming Mats Ditra-Heat 120-Volt 336.9 ft.
Home Depot
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Warming Mats Ditra-Heat 240-Volt 551 ft.
Home Depot
Tile Edging: Schluter Roofing Supplies Ditra 54 sq. ft. 3 ft. 3 in. x 16 ft. 5
$83.67 | Home Depot
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Flooring Ditra-Heat 60.3 sq. ft. Electric
Home Depot
Thermostats & Controls: Schluter Warming Mats Ditra-Heat 240-Volt 673.8 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™