20 gauge stainless sinks

hiltonFebruary 25, 2007

I am interested in a Kindred 20 gauge stainless sink. Is there any problem with getting a 20 gauge verses 18? The cost is about 60% less. I live in Canada where ordering online is usually difficult. I don't need the sink to last 30 years but I do want it to last at least 15 years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pecanpie

Hilton, you will get more information if you post this question on the "Discussions" side of the Kitchen Forum.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 8:53AM
sue36

20 gauge is considered "builder's grade". I wouldn't do less than 18.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 11:51AM
weed30

While 18 gauge is considered 'better' because it is thicker, 20 gauge is fine in my opinion. When I remodeled my last kitchen, I got a 20 gauge Kindred, and it was excellent. That Kindred replaced a 33 year old builder's grade sink, which was in fabulous condition, I only replaced it because I wanted a deeper and more modern looking sink. I would not hesitate to get a 20 gauge from a good manufacturer.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 8:30PM
elyash

You don't say the size you are looking for or your price range. However, I believe you can get a 16 gauge single bowl 30 inch krauss for around $250.00. People on GW recommend both krauss and ticor. The lower the gauge, the thicker the stainless steel. You also want to know the nickel/chrominium ration and whether the sink has been sound proofed. Overstock.com has good prices on sinks.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™