Different counter top material for island??

mngolfnutFebruary 16, 2010

I'm in the process of building a small summer home that I will likely try to sell in the near future. We ordered cherry cabinets with cranberry stain and a black glaze. The kitchen is roughly 12x12 with a 5' island. My budget is tight, so I was planning to use laminate counter top that resembles granite. The problem is that with laminate my island edge choices are very limited. I was planning to use a bullnose or ogee edge which doesn't work on the island. You can only get a square or a beveled edge if you want all 4 sides of the island to match. Here's what I'm considering. BTW, the flooring will be a light colored ceramic tile.

Option 1:

Light colored laminate for the perimeter of the kitchen with a dark colored Corian island (bullnose or ogee edge for everything)

Option 2:

Dark colored laminate for the permieter of the kitchen with light colored Corian island (bullnose or ogee edge)

Option 3:

Matching laminate for everything with a square or beveled edge.

I'm looking at Corian (solid surface) because I can get a remnant the exact size that I need at a considerable discount over granite or quartz. I'm curious to hear what other people think. Laminate plus Corian feels like a funny combination to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairie-girl

Hi mngolfnut, I don't have an answer for you, but this forum is really slow. You might have better luck posting on the main, discussion side. :o)
~Missy

Here is a link that might be useful: discussions

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand
We're going to redo our kitchen but aren't quite ready...
stretchad
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™