Waterlox on white pine floors - need stain?

lizzie_nhSeptember 4, 2011

We are strongly considering installing wide plank eastern white pine flooring, and finishing them with Waterlox. Can anyone tell me how the Waterlox will alter the color of the wood, after 3 or 4 coats? Ideally we would have something approaching a "pumpkin pine" shade - definitely not a light natural pine color. (That is, I'd like the floors to be a more dark-ish orange-ish color, and not light-ish yellow-ish.)

I watched the how-to video on the Waterlox website and it makes it seem as if the final color on light-colored bare wood will be what I want, but I'd like to hear about other people's experience with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluezette

Definitely orange-ish, lizzie. We did 4 coats on our Douglas fir attic (sub)flooring last fall and it has a definite orange cast, not yellow at all. I'd call our floor medium to medium-dark, but the fir probably started out with more of a range of light-to-dark shades than your white pine. Do a test board to see if it's as dark as you'd like. Remember that the wood will also darken some over time and exposure to light.

We're really happy with how the Waterlox finish turned out in spite of the fact that we were total novices at floor finishing. And the best part is no more splinters when barefoot!

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizzie_nh

Thank you! We are DIY-ing it and I was happy to learn about the existence of Waterlox. It looks easy to apply (and I realized that if I need stain, I can mix it (depending on ingredients) into the first coat of the Waterlox.) I like the idea of a finish which can be spot-repaired, and we're also looking for a rustic "old New England house" style, which I won't get from polyurethane. I think this is the right choice.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
LVP plank and tile flooring pulling apart at seams.
We installed a LVP this spring into our new addition....
moledro
What to use on edging and stairs when stripping of old hardwood floor
We are in the process of stripping and refinishing...
candeelyn
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™