What to serve with beer sausage?

dgkritchMarch 25, 2012

I need some inspiration!!

I'm making braised beer sausage for dinner.

What would you serve with it?

I've got lots of potatoes, saurkraut and a well stocked basic pantry.

Help me!!

Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

I'm kind of boring, what I usually do is slice up some cabbage and saute it until tender, add the saurkraut and sausage to that and heat until cooked and hot through. Mashed potatoes on the side and maybe some good rye bread (although I generally save the bread for sandwiches out of the leftover sausage).

Probably glazed carrots or sweet potatoes on the side to add some color and some sweet to the sour.

Annie

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:38PM
ynnej

This post has me craving potato pancakes, which then makes me crave white asparagus with hollandaise. I miss German food. I like Annie's idea for the glazed carrots, too.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:52PM
lindac

Sweet and sour braised red cabbage.....and garlic mashed potatoes...or Roesti potatoes.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 2:07PM
nancylouise_gw

Ohhhh, you mean food! I was going to suggest a Belgian style pale ale or a Bock Lager. Silly me. Then if it is food you want I would roast up sweet potatoes, regular potatoes and some onions in olive oil with seasonings. Rye bread is a good suggestion by Annie. Love rye with sausage. NancyLouise

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 5:16PM
wizardnm

I'd probably make German Potato Salad, goes great.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 6:43PM
dgkritch

I kind of went a different direction. Got too busy to check back in before time to cook.

Braised the sausage in beer. Sweated some onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper. Removed the sausage, added the veggies and some tomato powder, worcestershire sauce, sweet balsamic, mustard, sugar, etc. to make a chunky BBQ sauce and served with roasted potatoes and broccoli salad.

Yum.

Stuffed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sure there's more sausage in my future!! :-)

Deanna

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 10:19PM
chase_gw

The next time I make sausages, I'm making this recipe posted on the Cabbage Cook-a -long. It really grabbed me as the perfect accompaniment to assuages.

Haluski (Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodles)
Servings: 4

4 cups wide egg noodles
8 TBSP butter
2 cups sliced onions, about 1/8 inch thick
6 cups cabbage, sliced thin
Half teaspoon salt
pepper

Directions

Cook egg noodles according to package directions, then drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside.

While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to turn golden.

Add cabbage to skillet, stirring well to incorporate with onion, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer until vegetables are soft. Turn heat back to medium, add cooked noodles, salt and pepper, and stir well until noodles are heated though.

Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 8:06AM
dgkritch

Oh, that DOES sound good! I'll be trying that one for sure!
Off to read the rest of the cabbage thread too.

Deanna

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Anyone remember Mike Roy?
I do NOT remember Mike Roy--he died when I was about...
Fori is not pleased
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™