Family Dr or GYN?

goldensmomDecember 7, 2007

How many of you get a pap smear, breast exam, etc. from your primary care physician vs a gyn? My dr. is an internist & for some reason I just feel strange having him do it. Comments please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I felt the same way too so now I go to GYN. It cost me more on my co pay on insurance but I think it is worth it. I feel I get a more complete exam with the GYN

    Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 1:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No question about OB/GYN.

It's hard enough to diagnose things like Ovarian Cancer when the MD is Specialty Trained to look for subtle diseases, so I wouldn't trust a GP to do a PAP. Plus, so many of them are under the capitation system that they are reluctant to refer patients to a Specialist except when they have no recourse and precious treatment time might be wasted.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 11:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I see a nurse practitioner in my GP's clinic who does nothing but Pap tests and a few other assorted female concerns. I vastly prefer this to using either a gynecologist who is on a superfast schedule or my elderly male GP. The NP is always ready to make a referral if she finds or I report any kind of problem or concern. Then I see a female GYN. My periods came back on me at the age of 58 and I was immediately sent out for an internal MRI and then to a gynecologist. The consensus was that my body was led to try and crank out a few more eggs because I was focused on my daughter's fertility problems. She did become pregnant during these couple of months. Once she announced, my body stopped kicking out eggs and never resumed.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 11:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

devorah, I'm not a doctor. However, if you started having periods again at 58 after not having any for several years that is not normal, not for any female. I'm surprised your GYN didn't do a biopsy of the lining of your uterus or perform an D&C.

    Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I go to a female gyn, I am very comfortable with her. I thought I had a post menopausal problem and the MDs told me my problem was normal and offered no treatment. My gyn told it was not atrophy like thought it was, it was a disease and girls as young as 5 can have it. She also gave me a medicine that took care of the symptoms.

    Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 10:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The gyn did do a scraping of the uterus and sent it for testing. There was a chance it was cancer but the Dr. wasn't particularly worried. She said it isn't at all unusual for our bodies to try and crank out a few more eggs. I didn't start menopause until I was 56, so it wasn't as far to age 58 as it would be for most people.

    Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 7:18PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
Need at least one hearing aid. Dr recommends type...
Robert Givens
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™