Boniva side effects

cheerful1_gwDecember 13, 2007

One of the side effects is flu-like symptoms. Does anyone know if that happens right away, or if it can come anytime? I started Boniva on December 1; felt fine until today (chills, sore throat, aches). I had a flu shot, but I know I can still get the flu.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linkay42

I just started Fosamax on Sunday am and by 2PM i was so sick to my stomach..was sick all night and Monday..Anyone else have this problem? Was on Actonel before with no problems..Linda

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 9:02PM
devorah

I refused to take Boniva because I have to be so careful about acid reflux. I have done my esophagus a lot of damage over the years and the proton pump inhibitors I have taken have contributed to my bone loss.

My rheumatologist said that I should try Evista so that's what I have done and it appears to be working. She said if that didn't do the trick I should take the IV Boniva and bypass my stomach.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 11:05PM
woodnymph2_gw

I am going to have to take something for bone loss in the near future. Has anyone with this issue ever tried the nasal spray Miacalcin or Fortical? Supposedly these 2 avoid the possibility of jaw necrosis, which can happen with Fosamax, et al.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 1:43PM
flowergirl70ks

I have tried them all, starting with Fosamax and ending with Boniva. After about a year on each one, I would have stomach aches after every meal.I have bone loss, but it isn't worth it to be sick all the time.

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 9:32AM
devorah

The nasal sprays are next on my list if the Evista doesn't work. My rheumatologist recommended Miacalcin. Her recommendations in order are:

Evista - Miacalcin nasal spray - Actonel - Boniva - Boniva IV

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 12:39PM
nancylee_ky

I took boniva for almost a year and noticed I would get a stomach ache that lasted about 2-3 days after taking the boniva each month. It did help my osteoporosis though. I wonder if Fosamex or Actonel would have the same side effect? I don't want to have a stomach ache more often than once a month !

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 2:18PM
devorah

I had a test that showed the Evista is working. The only side effect for me is a 30 second hot flash about 45 minutes after I take it.

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 6:39PM
cheerful1_gw

I'm noticing slight stomach problems after taking it, but if it helps my osteoporosis, I can live with it.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 7:53AM
carrie630

I read somewhere that Actonel can contribute to some kind of loss of bone in your JAW! Yes, loss of bone. Actonel is supposed to be good for osteoporosis/penia... but can affect the jaw.

I took Actonel for quite sometime and had lots of trouble with acid reflux (or might have had anyway, but blamed it on Actonel)... I stopped and my bone loss did not continue, but I also get lots of sun everyday (Vitamin D) and came off Nexium (which can deplete you of calcium)...

Anyway, that's my experience - I am sure Actonel affects everyone differently - but that jaw possible problem seemed scary

Carrie

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 5:07PM
cheerful1_gw

The Boniva can also contribute to the bone loss in the jaw. I told my hygenist about the Boniva; she put a large neon sticker on my file, and said if I ever need gum surgery, I'd have to go off the Boniva for several months before the surgery. They take this jaw bone loss very seriously.

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
tough skin on feet
I have been to foot doc.and they say rhey don't know...
goldy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™