Dizziness and sinus infection

cheerful1_gwDecember 6, 2005

I've had a terrible post-nasal drip for the last 2 weeks. I started to get headaches, and I got a dizzy spell this morning (good thing I was sitting down). Is that all connected? I had taken Claritin-D, but it made me sleepy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swanoir

It is possible that all of these symptoms are related, depending on the source of the post-nasal drip. Potential sources include air-borne allergies, upper respiratory infections, influenza, acute or chronic sinusitis, or, less likely, a reaction to a toxic substance in your environment. If you have had this condition for two weeks and it is progressing to the point of having headaches and dizziness, I would advise you to check in with your primary care provider.

Sinusitis is particularly problematic and can become chronic if it is not treated or is treated incorrectly. Most cases of acute sinusitis are caused by failure of the normal mucus transport system or decreased sinus ventilation. The four paranasal sinuses of your face are connected by small openings called ostia. If they become obstructed or inflamed (leading to swelling and then obstruction) the sinuses do not drain properly, and the backed up secretions are an excellent media for a bacterial (or, less often, viral or fungal) infection. The pressure, pain, and inflammation in the sinuses can lead to headache and dizziness, but again this is only conjecture. A health care professional can do the necessary testing and diagnostic imaging, if necessary, to determine what the problem is in your situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acute Sinusitis

Bookmark   December 6, 2005 at 11:46PM
LFPB4

It's possible that you have an infection that's bad enough to affect your ears. This would upset your balance. It's time to see your doctor. Claritin-D will not help to clear an infection. It's just for keeping down allergy problems. You may need an antibiotic or other medication. Ear infections can get to be unpleasant.
PB

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 7:28PM
Ratherbgardening

Quercetin with vitamin C helps the sinuses. I use it for my allergies. I get the Natrol brand.

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 12:05PM
nyc_michael

read what swanior said..

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
band aids
My dermatologist introduced me to Coverlet bandages....
shuffles_gw
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
splotchy skin in the calf areas
The red spots are mostly pin size and are up to 1/8"....
naturelle
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™