Dents in wood laminate flooring?

kinikiaSeptember 29, 2012

We recently purchased a home that had Mohawk hardwood laminate flooring installed in many rooms, including the kitchen. When we moved in, we noticed many dents in the floor, and joked that she must have thrown pots and pans at him. Then I dropped a small perfume bottle on the bedroom floor and saw an immediate dent. The floor seems fragile, and I have noticed that some of the dents in the kitchen have penetrated beyond the laminate surface. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

If your Mohawk branded floor is hardwood and not plastic laminate (think formica)...then I am not at all surprised you are denting the floor. Engineered hardwood flooring is very prone to dent easily.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 11:53PM
kinikia

Thanks for the reply, glennsfc. I'm gong to look into any warranty, but I don't expect that to be at all fruitful, since we didn't install the floor. It's only a few years old.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:52AM
brickeyee

The inner layers of the laminate floors are almost always less expensive easier to work softer woods.

Even if you put oak other hard veneer as the 'show' surface, the crappy woad behind it still dents.

Keep in mind that woods physical hardness is NOT directly related to its status as a 'hardwood' or 'softwood.'

Balsa wood & poplar are hardwoods.

Douglass fir is a softwood.

Deciduous trees vs. conifers.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™