Installation tomorrow, floors still not acclimating! What to do??

Madeline616September 19, 2011

Hello,

My engineered floor installation (floating floor over cement slab) is scheduled for tomorrow, and the flooring for 1 of the 2 rooms still has not been delivered to my home to begin acclimating.

This means they will only acclimate for about 20 hours total before installation begins.

Should I put of installation in that room until the floors have a minimum of 24-48 hours to acclimate? Some say engineered floors don't even need to acclimate.

Advice appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

It is correct that many do not require any type of acclimation. Check with the manufacturer specs on your product and insist the instructions be followed. A floating hardwood has less risk of an issue, but you should go buy the manufacturer specs.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 10:20PM
floorguy

Depends on the ply orientation and thickness of the top wear layer... and most important, what does the moisture meter say.
Wood acclimation is not a time thing. It is a moisture thing. Wrist watches and alarm clocks do not measure moisture.

A balanced construction with equal ply thicknesses and all plies of the same species of wood, I would not have much of a concern.

Now, a manufactured board, with a thick wear layer and a ply core of different/multiple species of wood and thinner plies than the top wear layer, I would have a big concern.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 10:26PM
floorman67

it depends what the manufacturer says in their instructions, because that is the criteria that a court will use if you have a failure and the manufacturer or retailer fudges, and you need sue them.

wood is hygroscopic in nature, so its all about moisture/rH equalization between the product to the area its to be installed in.

Go snag the install instructions from one of the boxes and start reading.

force the retailer to adhere to them to the letter.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 3:24AM
More Discussions
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™