Unhealthy Cooking Oil For Deepfry?

candlerDecember 18, 2004

If a person had to watch cholestrol and fat what type of oil could be used in a deepfry? Someone I know said canola oil would be okay. Another said there's no such thing as a safe oil. Thoughts? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gandbb

My understanding is that once an oil is superheated it doesn't matter what kind it is, it isn't going to be good for you so I just use the cheapest oil for the few times that I fry. I use canola and olive oil in everything else.

Bookmark   December 18, 2004 at 8:58PM
lazy_gardens

There is NO deep fried foods that are "good" for someone who is watching cholesterol or fat.

No matter what you use, it's STILL deep-fried and loaded with fat.

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 10:48AM
candler

Thanks for the replies. I can hear my daughter saying "See Dad, I told you so.". Anyone want to buy a new small deepfry . I'm widowed and only myself to feed. I look for shortcuts because I don't cook and get tired of sandwiches and cafeteria food. For whatever it's worth I'm seeing our first snow of the season in the Asheville area of Western NC. I think it's pretty. I can enjoy it more being retired. I haven't forgotten the precarious drives to work. Happy Holidays.

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 6:45PM
lazy_gardens

Candler ...
Try a crock pot. You don't really have to cook, just throw stuff in and let it simmer.

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 8:46PM
lindac

Candler...I also am a widow and only have myself to cook for. I often make myself a big salad....lots of different kinds of lettuce, onions, mushrooms and maybe some thawed shrimp, or some white meat chicken ( I poach chicken breasts in a bit of white wine, or sometimes cranberry juice.
I make a huge pot of veggie beef soup and cool it, skim the fat and freeze in 2 serving size containers.
A piece of salmon filet is good with a bit of lemon and some dill and baked until it just flakes. I do about a pound at a time and use it for lunch.
Lots of things that are easy without resorting to a deep frier....but I do love that stuff!
Linda C

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 11:18PM
PeaBee4

Get a small toaster/convection oven. It makes baking or broiling one or two pieces of meat easy. And it won't take up much counter space. Deep Frying, besides not being good for you is messy!

Bookmark   December 20, 2004 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
Finally Got My Kidney
Was on dialysis 9 years,On Thanksgiving eve they called...
bulldinkie
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™