flooring for entry

luvpatch2September 10, 2011

I recently remodeled my kitchen and did a nice porcelain floor in a kind of "travertine " look in a beige color. I now want to do flooring for my entryway.When you enter my front door entryway you can see the kitchen floor from the entryway through a door to the kitchen. My question is this: Do I need to match or incorporate some of the kitchen tile into the design of my entryway for it all to flow? I hadn't planned on doing that until someone said it would look to choppy to have something different. But I don't want my entryway to look like just a kitchen floor. If I do need to incorporate the tile, can I just do a little bit of it maybe used as a small border and then use something else? Any thoughts would be fabulous! Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

I would probably use the same material. You can change the layout or possibly add a border with the same or different materials.

If you have carpet/wood or whatever between the foyer and kitchen and use something different in the foyer than the kitchen, you now have THREE different materials all connected. Too disjointed, in my opinion.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:26PM
weedyacres

I like the idea of tying it together but doing something different. That could mean a different pattern, different size tiles with the same finish, a border with a different material, etc.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 9:21PM
Cindyloo123

What is on the floors in the other rooms that open to your entryway? The foyer/hall can match one of those rather than the kitchen.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 3:02AM
SnowFlake888

I am having the same dilemma. I finally decided to use the same flooring for the kitchen and entry since you can see them both as you enter the house. I think the uniformity looks nice, but of course it's all personal preference.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 2:34PM
floorguy

Use the same tiles and incorporate a patterned inset/design, using other colors to tie things in.

That custom look as soon as you enter your investment.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 11:11PM
secsteve

We had the same decision and went with a different look for the entry way and are very happy with it. The hardwood we chose for the entry is a nice contrast to the bamboo in the kitchen and makes a distinctive transition between the rooms.

A SnowFlake888 said though, it all boils down to personal preference.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
Matte or shiny hardwood floors...what's your preference?
We are going to sand and refinish our floors. What...
jtaime2
Please help - can't find a review anywhere
I haven't been able to find any consumer feedback on...
ciana
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™