What to expect?

MariposaTraicioneraFebruary 20, 2006

Well sis had chemo last week for 48 hours, and after being in the hospital since 23rd January, she will be released today. She has to return for chemo in two weeks time though.

During her days with chemo it was AWFUL. I've never seen anyone that sick, and it was very painful to watch her. However, the last couple of days she perked up and started back eating. She's down to 98 lbs but was only 110 to begin with. Hopefully she'll gain some weight before her next encounter with chemo.

I'm not sure what to expect in the following weeks...any words of wisdom? Thoughts? She's handled the news very well, but that could change in the following months.

I guess what I want to know is what I should do for her besides visiting. I feel kind of helpless to be honest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eandhl

Just be there for her and willing to discuss whatever she wants. When you visit, bring a meal and you could offer to do some laundry or vac.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 1:59PM
bill_vincent

Mari, I don't know what your beliefs are, but I gotta tell you, prayer is a pretty powerful thing. :-)

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 10:41PM
MariposaTraicionera

There are a lot of people praying for her Bill.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 11:46PM
scotland1

Try the American Cancer SocietyÂs website. ItÂs a very informative site, although some of the statistics can be a bit grim. I know that their book lists the common treatments for each type of cancer and its typical side effects. Most chemos go after the cancer pretty effectively, but often other substances are also destroyed. My mother almost died from potassium depletion. In addition to tempting her to eat, you can temp her to eat what she needs.

One of the things many ill people find especially hard is the impact their illness is having on their loved ones. Anything you can do to help the family keep some semblance of normalcy would probably be appreciated. Water the plants, clean, cook, etc. Take the kids to their activities, pick them up, and help them with their homework. Find out what their favorite meals are and get them on the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Cancer Society

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Conestoga whites
For those of you that have conestoga cabinets in one...
tigger9759
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Sponsored Products
POLYWOOD Seashell Side Table
Fifthroom.com
All-Season Luxurious Down Alternative Hypoallergenic Comforter
Overstock.com
Almost Autumn Expectation Autumn Wood Silver Six-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Global Amici Milk Glass - Set of 6 - Z7AI4468S6R
$40.23 | Hayneedle
Tune in Radio Decor
$35.99 | Dot & Bo