Sunroom floor w/ radiant heat??

beaglesdoitbetter1September 17, 2010

We are putting radiant heat floor in our sunroom b/c we want it to be a four seasons room and cozy in the winter. This is a new build house and our builder has us down for a tile floor in the sunroom in part b/c of the radiant heat. The entire rest of the house will be hardwood. I'm not 100 percent sure I want tile. I want the room to be warm and cozy and I like hardwood w/ oriental rugs, but don't know how radiant heat will work under hardwood. It is real under floor radiant heat w/ a separate boiler and stuff, not electric radiant heat.

Anyone have pictures of tiled sunroom floors so I can get some ideas? House will have white crown moulding and white woodwork throughout and is heavily french country influenced.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hilltop1155

It has been a while since you posted this so maybe you've already decided, but I'll pitch in some thoughts just in case. In a French Country style, slate tile could look stunning. You could use rugs with it as well. I have radiant floor heat and tile is the best for heat transfer so the floors will be warmer in winter than you could get with hardwood.

You don't say where you live or whether you are using electric vs hydronic radiant heat, but those are other topics you'd want to think about in a sunroom application. Eectric is usually local to the room so you can have quicker response to temp changes, whereas hydronic is slower and usually the main system for the home. If you live in an area where the outside temperature changes quickly from cool to warm or vice versa, you would want to consider that.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Need help: c.1997 Hartco Pattern Plus 5000
Hello to anyone reading, and thanks. I have Hartco...
speaktodeek
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Sponsored Products
Fan Stool in Green
| Dot & Bo
Bellows III Outdoor Ceiling Fan by Craftmade
$399.60 | Lumens
International Caravan Valencia All-Weather Wicker Patio Dining Chair - Set of 2
$318.00 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Couristan Rugs Outdoor Escape Cocoa Beach
Home Depot
Westinghouse Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light Textured Black on Cast Aluminum Exterior
Home Depot