Furnace blower won't start....coldest night so far.

jimhokieJanuary 2, 2008

I have a 15-year old Carrier gas furnace model 58DFA. Yesterday we noticed a burning smell and traced it to the furnace in the garage that was hot to the touch on the side of it. It appears that it just tried to enter a heating cycle where the burner cut on, but the fan did not, so the burner shut itself off. I tested the fan in manual mode and can hear a click sound inside the unit, but the fan would not turn on in in manual mode either. I verified that the burner does ignite also, but did not leave it on long enough to watch it shut itself off.

I called the HVAC company that originally installed it to check it out, but after about 5 minutes tops, he just said it was either an unfunctional draft inducer or board. He said this could be repaired but it would be very expensive and not cost effective, recommending replacement of the furnace instead. While this may all be true, and I do intend to replace my whole HVAC system in the spring with current high efficiency units, I wonder if there isn't a chance that it may be something relatively simple that could be the problem--don't think he really did much once he saw how old the unit was.

One internet site said my symptoms may indicate a blown fuse or bad blower motor. Where might this fuse be and how can I test the motor? If it is a bad motor, is this a cost effective repair for the moment? I'd like to take time to decide on a good investment efficiency-wise if I can just get my heat running for the moment, rather than be forced to spend thousands off the cuff, which I figure will still not have us heat for a couple days or more. We do have a ventless fireplace and an open floor plan that helps keep the chill off.

FWIW, a few years ago the blower stopped working during the summer after a thunderstorm and I traced it to the control board. I noticed a burned looking solder connection and resoldered it fixing the problem. No thunderstorm this time.

Anything ideas I can check for a possible quick fix will be greatly appreciated!

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tmajor

It sounds like he's full of ... !
If the burner seems to work, the burner is probably OK. If the blower won't run, it's probably the blower.

If you have a meter or test light, you should be able to determine if the blower motor is getting voltage in the manual mode.

    Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 7:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

i don't know what it would cost in your case, but a couple years ago my blower motor cost me around 275.00 to have the HVAC guys replace it. i was out of town at the time, or i would have done it myself and saved over 100.00. if the price is over 3-400 to fix it, i would look at replacement now. no sense shelling out big bucks for something you plan on replacing in a couple months.

    Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 10:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wallynut

You stating that, you had strong burning smell is a
strong indication of bad blower motor.Should be easy enough
to test and not that expensive to replace. ( In the $300/$400 range)You might be able to get several more years out
of equipment.

    Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimhokie

I traced the problem to the circuit board, and it was the same solder joint on the board that had previously "burned" out. I resoldered it more thoroughly and that fixed the problem...I have heat again! Thanks for all the suggestions.

    Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_brown

So you had a board problem... Try adding a supco surge protector. Use the one with the idiot light.

    Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 4:10PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
Geothermal in new construction.
Our house is currently under construction, and while...
bethmcg
Sponsored Products
Monarch Specialties Dark Brown Bonded Leather Match Sofa Lounger I 8210BR
Beyond Stores
Tiffany Style Table Lamp with Rhombus Jadestone Patterns
ParrotUncle
Wisteria Table Lamp
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Yellow Haze Diamond Throw Pillow
$24.99 | zulily
Modway Le Corbusier Rectangle Metal Glass Top Coffee Table - EEI-573-BLK
$429.99 | Hayneedle
Turquoise Turbo Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Soho Outdoor Pendant - Marset
$1,421.00 | HORNE
Five Seasons Montecito Cream/ Sky Blue Rug (5'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™