Face Pain

blueheronNovember 1, 2006

I have had this pain at the left side of my face for about a week now. Went to the doctor's yesterday and he was stumped. Said it was neuralgia. (I could have told him that! LOL!) It isn't a dental problem, or TMJ, they checked for that.

It is like spasms that come and go and my ear hurts, too, not the inner ear, but the outside. Today, it's not as bad, and I can certainly live with it, but I just wonder what is causing it. Could it be the start of a cold or something like that? At times, my throat is sore on that side, but not all the time! Weird.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

I'll tell you a personal story about neuralgia. I kept having a sharp stabbing pain on the side of my head. My son is a doctor, so I asked him what he thought. He thought it was neuralgia and gave me a prescription.

Well, I remembered that an old fashioned remedy for neuralgia was to inject the site with alcohol. So I skipped the prescription and got a bottle of real sweet wine and got zonked. My husband had to help me to bed. He thought it was funny!

I know it was probably a coincidence, but maybe some of the alcohol got to the problem as that ended the pain. It's a family joke now that since Mama didn't have a needle, she just used a bottle.

It's not something that I would suggest, but if you are in the habit of a glass of wine now and then, maybe a big glass of Morgan David Grape (which is very sweet) would be worth trying. A sweet wine goes to the brain really fast.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 7:05PM
blueheron

Well, I do drink a glass of red wine every night, and it is slowly getting better. LOL!

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 6:11PM
jenme

As a chronic pain patient I think I know why the getting drunk method worked, you "broke the pain cycle". When you have pain your body tends to tighten in that area and then that produces more pain, not saying that this will stop all pain or I wouldn't be hurting like I do! But it does help a lot of pain that is of "an unknown cause" with the vague definitions like "myalgia". I also felt like screaming DUH, I know that means you don't know what it is, just say so!!!!!

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
band aids
My dermatologist introduced me to Coverlet bandages....
shuffles_gw
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™