Porcelain Travertine Tile --- A few questions...

building_a_houseSeptember 23, 2012

I am building my first home and want to get some ideas on possible flooring options for the basement.

I am very interested in the new porcelain tile that can be manufactured to look like stone. Specifically I like the porcelain travertine options.

How much is a good quality porcelain travertine per square foot? What about other faux stone porcelain options like slate? Anything I should know? Any good online sources to look at or buy?

Thanks. I need some educating so please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

You can spend anywhere from a couple of bucks per foot to triple that. HD or Lowes can be a starting point for you as far as prices go. A dedicated tile outlet will generally be more. When you find one that you like, shuffle up 8-10 tiles and stand them on edge. Feel for size variations....1/16" of an inch or less is good. Now, place a tile face up and another face down on top of it. Does it "rock?" If it does, there is some "cupping" of the tile~not a good sign.

Larger format tiles...16" or so are more popular, but do require a flatter floor and more expertise to install.

Are you hiring this out or DIY?

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 1:58AM
building_a_house

I am hiring it out. It will be part of a new home that I am building. I figure about 1000 square feet or so in the basement.

Is there a particular brand that I should look for?

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:14PM
StoneTech

No particular brand. There can be tremendous variations from brand to brand. Use my suggestions and make sure all the material is from the same lot.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 2:44AM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™