Shipping Soapstone countertops -- advice and sources?

emily_tJanuary 23, 2006

Hello, I live in Minneapolis and have fallen in love with soapstone countertops. We are looking to install and fabricate them ourselves, and I am looking for a place to buy the slabs! I don't think that anyone locally carries them here. Does anyone have any advice about where to buy the slabs from, how the shipping went, and how much i should expect to pay? I am seeing quotes from $22 - $75 a square foot. We need to stay in the lower range to make this possible.

Also, I remember reading something about a material that was similiar to soapstone but that it was synthetic, but also used in chemistry labs, etc. Anyone know what that might be?

Thanks so much for your help. I am excited that we may be able to afford soapstone, since we can cut it ourselves, but i am concerned about finding a supplier and shipping it. See my blog about our project here: 4048.blogspot.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellene613

More soapstone info than you thought you ever wanted is available here in Starpooh's soapstone blog:
http://thssoapstone.blogspot.com/

M. Teixeira, with retail stores in Massachusetts and California, ships all over. Here's their web address: http://www.soapstones.com/
They have useful DIY advice on their website.

The other material I think you're referring to is called Fireslate, about which I have read many negative reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone blog

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
Aditya Industries Stainless Steel Sink
Anyone ever heard of Aditya Industries as a supplier...
burbmomoftwo
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™