Flooring that fits a home?

ahmnjSeptember 19, 2011

Happy Monday - earlier this month, I posted a question about the kitchen remodel we're working on over in the Kitchens forum. But it really seems that a key decision relates to the flooring. We're looking at replacing 1989 tile with a stained maple flooring, and as we looked at the house - where there's a flow of the floor through the kitchen and down the main hall of the house. We realized that just changing the floor in the kitchen might not make sense and create a fragmented design. Thus, we should be looking at this entire area.

I don't know if it makes sense to re-post everything here, so let me refer to the original post:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0921305030180.html

So here's my question - does a medium-stained wood floor (the Somerset Maple Tumbleweed image in that post) make sense to bring this home more into this millennium without losing the style of the house, or is it too dark? I love the wood against the fireplace, but this is a major decision that I'm waffling on.

I can post the photos here, if that would help.

Thanks so much - the DH is about to go crazy if we don't get this finalized....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalmadarling

Hi there! I'm selecting wood floors for my kitchen area as well, and have been dealing wiht the same dilemma...too dark, what style, etc? Such a big decision.
I personally think the tone would be great in your home and what you're doing from the looks of it- but I might suggest another material. In my research, I've found that maple is great if you leave it light. This artcile has a lot of great tips (scroll down to the end for info on maple (doesn't keep its stain well)

Here is a link that might be useful: hardwood flooring 411 from houzz

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahmnj

I'm sorry I never replied to this! Thanks so much for your thoughts - and the link to that site about different types of wood flooring is a terrific reference.

For what it's worth, we ended up deciding to go with tile in the kitchen - and that's been just as hard a decision or maybe worse. The project is underway, and the tile will be going in shortly. We'll see... Got one order of it in, and it didn't match the sample! So we're trying gain.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™