Lending out your home
We had a second home (lakehouse) for a decade, which we sold, and now have a beachhouse. The new house is closer to much of our family and generally more in demand.
Over the years, we let people use our lakehouse from time to time and also donated stays for charity auctions. I would say people used it without us 1 or 2x a yr
Our new beachhouse isn't even done yet, and we are being overrun. Like it has been in constant use by family both when we are up and when we are not. I don't want people to use it when we aren't there, for several reasons:
1. I like privacy and I don't want to have to worry if I have left anything private anywhere
2. I like things perfect; and I don't want stuff moved or changed or, frankly, even used! For example, they got sand in my new W/D. At this point its just a few grains that I hear whenever I open the lid. I sound like a lunatic being bothered by this, but it does piss me off.
3. I did not decorate this like a rental house or even a second home; there are lots of fragile and/or expensive things. I would never expect anyone to replace them, as I think of that as the risk one takes when one has guests.But I didn't think the risk was going to be 24/7
4. I am trying to be a very (very) quiet neighbor, as our neighbors are for us. I can't control or trust what others do.
5. We have the house professionally cleaned for us. Then, someone else stays there, and they clean it. They probably thing they are doing good, but they do not clean as well as the professionals.
Am I just an unreasonable pill, or? WWYD?