Premarin and PMU Foals

RheaTJanuary 26, 2006

I learned something today that, as a menopausal woman who loves animals, horrified me. Organic Premarin is made from the urine of pregnant mares. These mares are kept in a near constant cycle of pregnancy and nursing so their urine can be harvested to make the drug. The foals are extraneous to the process of making Premarin and are typically sent to slaughterhouses when they're weaned. These foals are known as PMU (Pregnant Mare Urine) foals.

This wouldn't be so shocking if there was no alternative, but a synthetic version of Premarin is available.

There are some amazing people who are doing as much as they can, with limited resources, to find homes for PMU foals. If you're an animal lover, won't you visit just one of these wonderful web sites and learn about the work being done to save PMU foals?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: PMU Foal Acquisition Network, Inc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamela928

rheat--

I have a friend with a soft heart, and she adopted two of these foals last year. I always tell her how wonderful she is for doing it.
Pamela

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 1:44PM
cam_

rheat, a horrific practice I agree. When I started menopause its why I requested a plant based type of estrogen.

Its unbelievable what people do to animals: raising calves in tiny little pens they are unable to turn around in so their meat will be pale tender veal or throwing live male newborn chicks in trash cans (and keeping the females for egg laying). Some people ought to get a taste of their own medicine.

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 4:23PM
RheaT

I learned about the foals while making an appointment with a chiropractor. The receptionist has a friend who is fostering six PMU foals. I'm hoping to wheedle an invitation to visit them! :-)

I wish I could foster one but hubby wouldn't even consider it when I asked if we could get a miniature donkey.

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 11:22PM
sillymesillyne

That's how they came up with the name. PRE = PREgant MAR = MARe IN = urINe.
Anyway, I agree, it's a horrible practice and it made me decide to never take it.

Silly

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 11:35AM
mahatmacat1

Yup. Nothing like spelling it right out in the name. I'm never going to take it; it's a product that deserves to die for ethical reasons alone, not to mention that there are several viable synthetic and natural alternatives.

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 12:28PM
proudmamato4

I'm am horrifed. Don't know why, based on what we do to other animals, both mentioned above and in too many other situations. I passed this link on to my horse-loving friends. I wish I could get one, but alas, I live on 3/4 acres, not quite large enough for a horse.

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Best type of rug to protect hardwood floors in kitchen?
I found an older thread which discusses choices of...
juliedrew
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™