Knee replacement

newmobileownerOctober 18, 2007

What can I expect after my knee replacement?How long will I be off my feet? Will the pain be gone? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

Do a google search for "knee replacement surgery"
There are many articles about what to expect. You'll need a cane or walker for several weeks until the joint heals.

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 2:21PM
gorper99

I am 60 and had mine done in July.Had some pain for about 2 weeks and was walking without cane 3 weeks after surgery.Feels good now.

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 10:42AM
edselpdx

Recovery from knee replacement is variable, and know one can specifically predict your recovery trajectory. Most surgeons will have you up and moving the day after surgery, or even the day of, depending on the technique and your abilities.

A
A good idea is to get in the best shape you can PRIOR to surgery. If you haven't already done so, get a referral for some physical therapy as soon as possible. They can work on balance and strengthening exercises that will get you in the best shape you can be in prior to surgery. PT's know what to do. I understand that it is difficult to exercise with a bum knee, but PT can work with you within your current abilities to make sure you are in the best shape going into the surgery, which will make your recovery faster and safer.

If you are diabetic, make sure your blood sugars are in excellent control. Stop smoking if you smoke. If you have a few pounds to lose, try now. Water aerobics or similar classes can be great for conditioning/strengthening if you have joint problems. Consider learning meditation or other focusing/rejuvenating methods that make sense to you.

After surgery, keep your pain under control by taking medications around the clock initially. Pain control is essential to being able to move immediately after surgery and preventing complications. Make sure you have friends and family lined up to help out with meals, housework, and shopping for the initial weeks after surgery. This is the time to pull in those folks who say, "Oh, gosh, is there anything I can do?" Put them to work. Set up a schedule of who will help drive you to appointments and shop post-op BEFORE you have the surgery.

Just about everyone I know who has had this surgery says a few weeks later "I can't believe how much better I feel; why didn't I do this ages ago?" Good luck with your surgery, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
splotchy skin in the calf areas
The red spots are mostly pin size and are up to 1/8"....
naturelle
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™