Social Security disability hearing

downsouthOctober 6, 2005

I had my disability hearing on 9/13 and the judge said I would get the decision in the mail in 30 days. Anyone else been thru this? Does it normally take longer? My attorney is so positive we won, but I'm not getting my hopes up, but as each day paases i am getting anxious to know one way or the other.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizql

I have a friend who went through the same thing. If attorney is confident then go with it. After all, he's getting paid too. She got her answer in about three weeks or so. And a retroactive check a couple weeks later.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 3:44PM
gandbb

The success rate once you have worked up the ladder of appeals is really high. I think you will have a good result. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 10:51AM
downsouth

Thanks, ladies, haven't heard anything yet, but I should soon. I'll let you know the results.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 9:16PM
jannie

Ask your attorney to make an inquiry about this. Social Security is attempting to streamline and make decisions faster. Perhaps the judge was out of town or something like that. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 4:48PM
downsouth

I "think" I have good news from my disability hearing. The letter from the judge came yesterday which says "fully favorable", but it says something about the Appeals Council may review. I read on the net last night that if you get a favorable decision, it's 2 to 4 weeks before you get a notice of award. I also read that when an ALJ (administrative law judge) makes a fully favorable decision, there's a very small chance that the decision is overruled. I'm not getting my hopes up too much until I get this notice.

My son said the Appeals Council is so busy reviewing those who are appealing their denials and those who only got a partial favorable, that mine should be okay. I hope he's right. I cannot begin to tell you what a difference this would make in our lives.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 3:52PM
gandbb

I would say - go ahead and whoop it up. There's always a review process. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 4:53PM
downsouth

Gandbb, I think DH is whooping it up more than me. He had to take a medical leave (depression/mental exhaustion) this past April from his job for 6 wks. and he is hoping with my disability check, he can retire a little sooner. I tried to get him to apply for disability; with his depression history, I think he would be approved the first time. He would have to keep working though and that goes against you.

I'll whoop it up when I see the award letter.

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 3:20PM
jannie

Once you get a fully favorable decision, call Social S4curity every 30 days and ask for "status". The toll free number is 1-800-772-1213. Most people get paid within the first 30 days, but anything over 90 days is highly unusual, may need a senator or congressperson to get involved. Just my $.02. I used to work in a Social Security field office.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 12:24PM
downsouth

Jannie, thanks so much. If I haven't rec'd an award letter by 11/22, I will call them. I haven't called my attorney as he is probably charging me for every consultation we have had, LOL. I can't imagine what his bill is going to be, so I probably won't have much backpay left.

Does the Appeals Council review all fully favorable cases? How often will I be going in for reviews?

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 7:44PM
downsouth

Just an update. I am now drawing my SS disability and it has made a big difference already in our finances. We were able to pay our car off with the back pay.

Our son and DIL are really struggling and need a new stove, so "Santa" is coming to their rescue at Christmas. It's better to give than to recieve and since I received my disability, I want to give them a present they really need. I truly am blessed this year.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Bookmark   December 13, 2005 at 7:09PM
grittymitts

I've been following your anxious wait & am delighted for you.

Merry, Merry Christmas!

Suzi

Bookmark   December 13, 2005 at 8:57PM
devorah

Congratulations!

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 11:38AM
jannie

So happy for you. I am genuinely sorry when it takes so long. I know what it's like to wait for mail from the govt.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 5:24PM
babblingbetty

I can sincerely share your excitement! son recv'd award letter 2 weeks ago ....first check for month of dec hopefully "in the mail"

Bookmark   December 27, 2005 at 11:19AM
Thomasina1

I HAD MY ALJ HEARING 9/25/2013 WHEN DO I EXPECT TO HEAR ABOUT MY CASE

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 12:27PM
Thomasina1

HI MY NAME IS THOMASINA I HAVE MS. IT REALLY BEEN HARD WAITING FOR DISABILTY. I HAVE THREE BOYS. I AM 32 YEARS OLD.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
splotchy skin in the calf areas
The red spots are mostly pin size and are up to 1/8"....
naturelle
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™