Advice please! Dust/dirt with engineered floor installation?

Madeline616September 19, 2011

Hello all,

I'm having engineered wood flooring laid tomorrow in my closet and bedroom. It's floating, not glue down.

The floor store told me to just remove everything from the floors of the closet, as well as the bottom row of hanging clothes. They said I can leave the items on high shelves and clothes hanging higher off the ground, because the process isn't that dusty (whatever cuts are needed, they do outside.)

Just wanted to run it by the experienced GWers to make sure this is the case. Emptying out all the higher clothes/items will be quite a project today, so I'd love to just leave them. My only experience with flooring is having bare wood laid, sanded, and finished inside the home...that was a real dust fest!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tyjy

In our experience, the installer is correct. When we installed our engineered lock floor my husband did all the cutting outside and all it was a matter of was laying the clean/dry piece in place. The installers will be on hands and knees applying the piece so all they really need is light and enough room to kneel. (my DH wiped the piece after cutting to remove cutting dust) Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 1:30PM
Madeline616

Thanks so much, tyjy :)

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 3:42PM
floorguy

A little residual dust that hangs on the boards from cutting them, but nothing like a sand and finish job.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 10:39PM
floorman67

is there existing flooring that needs to be removed ?

if so that could get a little dusty when removing, preping, and sweeping, unless they use a shop-vac.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 3:18AM
More Discussions
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™