Sun-bleached patches on hardwood

bridgecrossSeptember 2, 2009

Good morning folks; wondering if anybody has had this flooring situation.

Just purchased a home with great hardwood floors. Level, solid, no squeaks, put in by the previous owner's grandfather about 50 years ago. The previous owner had area rugs, put down in 1993. When we tossed them we found that around the windows, the borders of the rug remained visible where the wood lightened in color. It's really bad right by the french doors. I'm hoping that it's just the wood stain bleached out by the sun, and the solution will be to have the floors refinished. But if the wood itself is altered, could it be possible that these are permanent lines?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Doubtful that the patches will be permanent. It's the wood fibers at the surface that suffer sun damage. Rip off the finish and those surface fibers and you're back to raw, unadulterated wood.

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 8:35AM
boxers

I'd also guess that the sun didn't bleach the wood the wood that wasn't covered by the rug got darker. If you remove the rug good chance that in time the now exposed wood will darken as well.

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 2:10PM
bridgecross

Boxer; did you mean the wood that WAS covered by the rug got darker? The exposed wood actually is lighter.
Either way I'm not willing to wait, and I'd like a different shade stain. I'm hoping that if we sand and refinish it will come out uniform.
Thanks!

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™