"in network"

deb_paOctober 12, 2012

I don't think I will ever understand health insurance. Ok, I'll make it simple. If I go to an "in network" hospital and doctor and the bill is $500 and the insurance company pays $450 do I have to pay the extra $50? If so, why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir

You may have to pay the extra $50. Some insurers waive the additional if they have a good price contract with the hospital. But keep in mind, if you go to an out-of-network hospital for your procedure, you'll likely pay a much higher amount than $50.

When we chose our primary care physician, we were careful to select a doctor who practiced at the local hospital we prefer.

I'll never understand health insurance either. DH was prescribed shoulder scans on each shoulder. I knew we'd have a co-pay & wanted a firm estimate of our share so we could plan our budget. It was excruciating finding the costs. Everyone I spoke to was surprised I wanted to know how much it would cost. Then after the procedure, the bill came & it was drastically less than we were told. Huh? And the point of me spending a week gathering info was what? Now I see why they were surprised I wanted firm costs, they seem to impossible to get & change with the wind or something.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
drug addiction
I'm really worried about my son. I think he is addicted...
clairdo2
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™