I had my Karastan rugs steam cleaned and now they're limp

bigdogloverSeptember 5, 2010

The carpet cleaners were here so I had them steam clean my two area rugs and my throw rugs as well, all of them Oriental/wool. They use clear water, heated, no chemicals or soap.

It was the first cleaning for the two Karastans (purchased at Tuesday Morning a few years ago). I've had other oriental rugs cleaned like this in the past, no problem. Also my throw oriental wool rugs did fine.

But the two Karastans are now more like blankets on the floor -- no stiffness or body to them at all. You sit on the sofa, put your feet on the rug and it bunches up. I'm so bummed about this!!

Any ideas why this happened and what I can do to get them back to normal?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanelewis

Did you check with Karastan before you had them steam cleaned? I would never let carpet cleaners touch my rugs. I take them to professional rug cleaners who know about the fiber content, etc and how to best clean them.

I would call Karastan and see if they have any suggestions.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 10:17PM
bigdoglover

The last time I took an oriental rug to a rug cleaner I was appalled at the dirty vat of water they put the rugs in, and that's why it was the last time.

Good idea to call Karastan and I should have done that to begin with, as you point out.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 2:53AM
bigdoglover

From the Karastan website, under "Care":

"We suggest sending your rug to a reputable professional who is accustomed to cleaning rugs of this quality when your Karastan rug appears dirty or has set-in stains. In-home cleaning is not recommended, though we do suggest taking immediate action in the case of spills to lessen stains."

OK, again, DUH. I have emailed them "confessing my sins" and will post their reply here in case anyone else is interested.

I guess since this never caused a problem with any other oriental rug, I didn't give it a second thought.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 3:09AM
susanelewis

I don't think all rug cleaners use the "dirty water vat method." I deal with a small locally-owned business that really knows their stuff and they take the time to show me exactly what they are going to do. They seem to love Karastan rugs for their quality. They helped educate me on what to look for with selecting rugs for my specific budget.

I would be very curious to hear what Karastan recommends. You might also want to call a rug cleaner and explain the quandary and see if they can fix the problem.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
'Nature' Brand Wood Flooring
I'm looking for either Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian...
justhuff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™