Pls help me floodproof our building lobby

dnereidSeptember 4, 2011

Our building was badly hit by Hurricane Irene. Our town is 4-5 feet below sea level.

Our wall to wall carpeted lobby, which had padding and plywood subfloor underneath, stood submerged for over 24 hours. We've thrown the carpet out and plywood is now warped.

My neighbor drilled a small hole in the plywood and it seems there is ground/dirt about 2-3 feet below (there are 2 steps leading into the building lobby). It is wet, but water is no longer stagnant after a week.

As condo owners, we know little about floors so I need some help from experts.

Will replacing the plywood subfloor, then cementboard, then ditra, then porcelain tile make this waterproof in case there is water logging for 24 hours? We are also planning on cutting out wet drywall (about 6") and replacing with cementboard (vertically). Should we put some sort of liner or vapor barrier at the seams? Would water ever rise up from below and is there a solution for that? The space is over 600 sqft so there is room to build a pitch.

Finally, do we need an engineer to inspect or suggest any drains etc. Or will a licensed general contractor do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorman67

Unfortunately there is no way to "floodproof" wood building construction that I know of. Unless you can seal off every possible entry point of water from the exterior, "water will always find a way".

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 3:42AM
weedyacres

First of all, on top of the plywood, you only need cement board OR Ditra. They are both underlayments. If you use Ditra (I much prefer it, as it's way easier and faster to lay), and tape the seams, it will waterproof the floor.

***BUT***

That's waterproofing from someone spilling on the floor, not from a flood that rises from below or an overwhelming flow of water that sweeps in from the outside. Waterproofing in bathrooms is done to keep water from getting into the walls from the inside the room. A flood does the opposite. I'm afraid floorman's right: you can't flood proof a building unless you build a dike around it.

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 2:16PM
live_wire_oak

You need to have licensed and insured contractors doing any work on your building. No homeowner DIY allowed on multi-family dwellings. You don't have the insurance to cover yourself if anything you do is wrong, and neither does your building.

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 5:40PM
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

You can't control flooding. If it's gonna happen...it's just gonna happen. You might consider having one or two linear drains installed, with an adequate slope to one or both, at least the water wouldn't just sit there for days.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
Sponsored Products
Florence Style Loft Armchair Leather Set of 2 in Tan
$939.00 | LexMod
Tiffany Style Flower Art Mosaic Table Lamps for Bedroom
ParrotUncle
5'x7' Blue and Gray Sufi Tiles Indoor-Outdoor Rug
Cost Plus World Market
Area Rug: Romance Multi 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Honey Can Do Kids Tubular Hangers with Clips - Set of 18 - HNGT01329
$24.99 | Hayneedle