carpet on concrete walls

yokattaSeptember 2, 2011

Anyone put carpet on concrete walls? If so do you have any tips to prep and make it look good? I have a 18' high by 30' long wall I want to put carpet on to look better and prevent echo. Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

Not easy....usually contact cement on both sides

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 12:11AM
yokatta

Thanks for the response. Both sides meaning the concrete and the back of the carpet? Would it help to acid etch the concrete? Also how do you think it would work to mount a tack strip on the top of the wall by the ceiling?

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 12:19AM
floorman67

Please consult the products installation instructions or the manufacturers techical [installation] services department for precise information on verticle surface application.

That said, if you install the carpet with contact adhesive you will probably void the warrenty, as I have never seen contact adhesive recommended.

We would use a recommended multi-purpose adhesive applied with recommended trowel notching, and roll completely with a hand roller to ensure recommended adhesive transfer.

As to prep, just like on the floor, scrape/grind/stone the high spots and fill in the low spots with patching compound mixed on the thick side to ensure a smooth surfance that wont telegraph through.

Glued carpet on verticle surfaces is very messy and a pain in the posterior even for the consumate professional, so make sure to protect your other installation area surfaces, like the floor below the area you wish to cover, etc.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 3:57AM
More Discussions
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™