what is IPE?

storkladySeptember 1, 2011

I see many references to IPE on this forum. What does it mean. Sorry, I'm a newbie. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I'm a newbie too, but found what might be a good explanation. Maybe someone here will add further explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: IPE Hardwood Floors

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 1:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Ipe (ironwood) is a tropical hardwood that has become popular for exterior decks. It is extremely weather-resistant, tough, strong and ungodly heavy/dense.
It requires special installation procedures; most people when spending $4.00+ per lineal foot do not want to see nails in the face of the deck, so it is universally installed with concealed fasteners, which essentially triples the amount of labor vs. a PT deck that's nailed with a nail gun.
The concealed fastening systems are also costly. There are a variety of clips, brackets or simply screws that have matching wood plugs filling the holes.
I did my first Ipe deck job in 06, and have witnessed the quality of the material go down while the price has continued to rise. Maybe others can still source premium stock at a good price.
Did I mention how heavy it is? One person can carry a 16' 4/4x6" plank without injury. 2 planks is a serious muscle-man. 3 planks would be a hernia.
Oh, yes; when sold as interior flooring, it goes by the name of "Brazilian walnut".
Casey

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Matte or shiny hardwood floors...what's your preference?
We are going to sand and refinish our floors. What...
jtaime2
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
Need help: c.1997 Hartco Pattern Plus 5000
Hello to anyone reading, and thanks. I have Hartco...
speaktodeek
Dupont's new Sorona carpet
We're just starting to shop around for new carpet for...
christie_sw_mo
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™